The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY) is a small fixed deposit type scheme/program launched by the government of India for girl children as a part of the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ project.
This scheme is also popular because this fixed deposit is tax-free. The government had given a tax benefit of up to 15 lakhs under section 80C of the Income Tax Act.
This Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana was launched by the Prime Minister of the Shri Narendra Modi on 22nd January 2015 and proved to be one of the most successful schemes launched by the government of India.
The main aim of this scheme is to provide Benefits to the girl child. This Scheme can make the future of girls better. The applicant just needs to apply for this by registering herself on the official website. There are no registration charges for registering on the web portal.
The benefits of this yojana and steps to apply and eligibility are mentioned further in this article, so read the full article for more information.
Under this Yojana, only two daughters or up to two daughters of a family can avail this scheme. Under this scheme, a bank account for daughters named Sukanya Samriddhi can be opened, and fixed deposits can be made for the daughter’s wedding and education expenses. Registration for this scheme can only be done till the daughter’s age is 10 years.
|Name of scheme||Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana|
|Run and Managed by||Central Government of India|
|Launched by||Prime Minister of India(Shri Narendra Modi)|
- 1 Documents Required to Apply for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
- 2 Rules to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account
- 3 Benefits of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme
- 4 Eligibility for applying for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme.
- 5 How to apply for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Documents Required to Apply for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
To apply for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana, the applicant and her parents needs the following documents-
- Aadhar card of both applicant and her parents.
- Age Certificate
- Parents Photograph
- Address proof
- Ration Card
Rules to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana Account
If an applicant is willing to open an account under this scheme, then she must have to abide by the following rules and guidelines-
- The maximum age of the girl child till when this scheme can be availed is 10 years.
- Only one account for one daughter can be opened; more than one account for the same person is invalid.
- One family can avail of this scheme for a maximum of two daughters.
- In the case of twins, more than two accounts can be allowed.
- The account must be managed by the parents till the daughter turns out to be 18 years old.
- The account can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs.250, and every year the applicant must deposit Rs .250 in the account.
- In case of non-submission of the Yearly account, a penalty of Rs 50 is imposed on the account.
- A person can invest a maximum of 15,00,000 in this scheme.
- The fixed deposit can be made for 15 years.
Benefits of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme
The benefits of the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme are as-
- This scheme provides economic and social support to the girl child.
- This scheme will improve the sex ratio of girls in the whole country.
- After 21 years of a girl child or after 18 years of marriage, this fixed deposit can be closed at the time of marriage.
- The interest rate on the fixed deposit is 7.6%
- An account can be opened at any post office or bank.
Eligibility for applying for the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme.
Interested Applicants who are applying for this Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme must fulfill the following eligibility criteria.
- The applicant must be a citizen of India
- Only girls can avail of this policy
- The applicant must be below or of the age 10 years
- The child must fall under the rules of this scheme
How to apply for Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana scheme
To apply in this scheme the applicant needs to download the application form from the official website and have to fill it manually and then the applicant needs to submit it to the respective post office or the Bank.
Follow the below steps to download the application form.
Step 1- go to the official website of the Government to download the form i.e-http://www.nsiindia.gov.in/InternalPage.aspx?Id_Pk=38
Step 2- search for the application form of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
Step 3-Download the application form.
Step 4- print the application form.
Step 5- Fill in the application form using the correct information.
Step 6- Attach all the necessary documents in the application form.
Step 7- submit the application form to the concerned Post office or the Bank.
Step 8 – Your account will be opened soon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How many years need to pay for sukanya samriddhi yojana?
The applicant can pay the premium of sukanyaSamriddhi YojanaUpto 15 years.
How many times we can deposit money in sukanya samriddhi yojana?
There is no limit in the number of times of deposit of amount in Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana however it is compulsory to deposit at least Rs.250 in the account.
Is Sukanya Yojana is better than PPF?
Both the Sukanya Yojana and the PPF have their own benefits, the sukanaya yojana gives you better interest rates over a short period of time.
What is the interest rate of sukanyasamriddhi yojana?
The interest rate of the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is 7.6% yearly as of 2021.